At Hillsgate Real estate we can help you sell your property and negotiate a favourable deal for you. We offer personalised and value-added services including better selling and marketing packages to all our clients. If you are considering selling, we will be more than happy to provide you with a current market opinion on pricing of your property which will not involve you in any expense or obligation.
Key 1: Timing
Buyers for good quality property can be found all year round. With the marketing process having become far more sophisticated than in previous times, the issue of timing is less critical today than in the past. However, there are some important points you may wish to consider.
If your property is located in one of Sydney’s hills suburbs, our research indicates that the Spring and Summer months produce superior results, particularly October and February. In most cases avoid the Christmas holiday period between 20 December and 10 January.
The time required to sell property that is accurately priced will typically vary between two and six weeks. Prior to placing your property on the market, allow an additional two weeks to prepare both the property and the marketing material.
Key 2: Presentation
Presentation of your property is a critical factor in achieving the highest possible price. This is similar to detailing a car before you sell it. The emotional appeal required to stir the spirit of the buyers is unlikely to be generated by a poorly presented property. And a neglected building sends out ‘warning signals’ to prospective buyers.
So it is important to do whatever is possible to have your property looking its absolute best on inspection day. Some of the turn offs for buyers include:
- Animal odours in the house
- Evidence of damp or moisture in the walls
- Cigarette or strong food odours
- Doors, windows or gates that stick
- Cracked glass
- Too much furniture or personal belongings cluttering the space
- Stained carpet
To improve the presentation, seek an outside opinion, as many of these problems can be fixed over a weekend for little expense. We believe the process is so important that we suggests some presentation enhancers as follows;
- Clean and tidy up all living areas, kitchen, bathroom/s, bedrooms and laundry
- Shampoo the carpet
- A fresh coat of paint
- Open the windows and blinds
- Eliminate clutter
- Clean and clear out the garage, shed and storage area
- Fix all minor cosmetic defects
- Check the guttering
- Trim the lawn and tidy the garden
Key 3: Method of Sale
There are several common ways to buy and sell real estate. Speak to one of our agent and they will recommend a selling method based on the property´s type and location, the nature of the market and how quickly you need the property sold.
Ensure you understand all the pros and cons before deciding on a method of sale.
- Private treaty sale: The most common method is where the seller advertises the property and invites offers from prospective buyers. The buyer and seller negotiate the sale, usually with the assistance of an agent. The sale is concluded with a written contract.
- Public auction: An auction is a public sale conducted at a specific date, time and place. Prospective buyers bid and the property is sold to the highest bidder
- Sale by tender: A sale by tender invites competitive tenders from potential buyers where all the offers are considered at a specified time.